Archery: state competition

Archery, a program introduced to Allen High School 3 years ago, won first place at the state tournament to conclude a successful season.

“I couldn’t believe it to be honest,” senior Sarah May, who also won first place individually, said. “I knew the competition was tougher this year and I had so much pressure on me. When I released my last arrow, I knew that I did it, and I was ecstatic!”

The program began with only about 50 students and has grown to over 140 students. It has been instituted in Curtis Middle School as well. Since the beginning of the archery program, the team has competed in the state tournament every year. Before, they placed third, then second the year after. However this year, they became state champions.

“We’ve improved a lot,” Coach Anderson said. “We’re a much better team now than when we first started, and I expect us to only get better and better every year.”

The team prepared for the state competition by practicing almost every day after school, as well as on weekends. Students have spent all season getting ready for state by signing up for individual tournaments and attending as many practices as possible.

“I kept shooting practice rounds until I had drilled my aiming spot into my mind,” sophomore Cameron Proske, who individually placed second out of Texas sophomores, said. “Then when it came time for me to shoot at sate, I just followed my routine and blocked out all distractions and emotions.”

Fortunately, the team’s hard work paid off, and they were able to bring home the gold trophy for the first time as an organization.

“ I lost my voice because I was cheering and shouting so much on the bus,” Proske said.  “I have definitely learned that practice pays off.”

The team was also successful in individual scores, with Allen students Sarah May, Jasmine Medina, and Theresa Crawford placing in first, second, and third.

“It’s amazing that the Allen girls took all three places in the high school female division,” May said. “That’s never been done before. It just proves how hard Allen archery has worked.”