10 wacky scholarships for the desperate student

The cost of college is a common struggle for students and parents. Fortunately, there are many scholarships available to make money less of an issue.

1.     Wear duck tape to prom

Duck Brand gives $5,000 in scholarship money to the student who can create the best prom outfit from Duck Tape.

2.     Create-A-Greeting-Card

In this scholarship, competitors design the front of a greeting card for business/consumer use by the Gallery Collection. The winner is awarded $10,000.

3.     National Potato Council scholarship

The National Potato Council gives $10,000 to a student each year who is currently conducting research for the potato industry.

4.     Michael Jackson scholarship

This $4,000 scholarship is awarded to students majoring in performing arts, English, or communications in honor of Michael Jackson.

5.     American Fence Association scholarship

$1,500 is awarded to children of families in the fence industry. The student must have a 3.0 GPA or greater, work/have parents in the fence industry, and have 40 hours of service hours in their high school career.

6.     National Gay Pilots Association scholarships

Scholarships are awarded to members of the LGBT community who desire to pursue a flight education.

7.     Tall Person scholarship

The Tall Clubs International, or TCI, gives away $1,000 to a tall person. Women must be at least 5’10” and men must be at least 6’2”

8.     The American Association of Candy Technologists scholarship

The AACT gives away $5,000 to candy-holics. It is awarded to students who have shown interest in confectionary technology with at least a 3.0 GPA.

9.     The Un-Athletic scholarship

If you’re a student at Bucknell University from Mount Carmel, CA and don’t enjoy strenuous athletic competitions or tobacco, alcohol and drugs, you’re eligible for scholarship money from the Gertrude J. Deppen Scholarship Fund.

10. Nudist scholarship

The American Nudist Research Library awards $1,000 to a high school student with at least three years of membership in any nudist organization.