AHS Students Place in Prestigious Art Competition

Every year, the Allen Art Alliance and Watters Creek work together to discover and display the artwork of 20 Collin County artists under the age of 20. Out of the 20 young adults selected, seven of them are Allen ISD high school students.

“To have seven students selected to participate at such a high level of competition is a really big deal,” IB and AP Art teacher Laura Helms said. “The idea of this competition is these are the top 20 up-and-coming artists in Collin County; they’re the ones to keep your eye on.”

Anukriti Singh, Austin Galletti, Grace Swierenga, Leticia Li, Ritika Diddi, Sunny Li and Kate Walker are the seven students whose artwork will be displayed in Blue House Too, the art gallery in Watters Creek.

“This competition is special because [my work] will actually be in a gallery where people can view it,” senior Anukriti Singh said.

Artwork of any medium can be submitted to the contest. Photography, digital art and pencil drawings are popular categories. Singh submitted a color pencil piece of an owl, an oil painting of a flamingo and the propellor of an airplane made in pencil and pastel.

“The flight element of [the owl and propellor] came from my AP art theme and the flamingo piece came from my IB art theme of repetition in nature,” Singh said.

The 20 Under 20 Art Exhibition will be on display in the Blue House Too Art Gallery until April 22. All are welcome to visit and enjoy the Collin County’s young artists.