Prom Edged Out

As Allen High School students drove to school on Feb. 13th, they changed their radio station to 102.1 and waited with anticipation for the 2015 Edgefest lineup to be announced. What they thought would be exciting news took a disappointing turn when the hit rock station announced that the festival would be on April 25, the same day as senior Prom, causing students to decide between high tops or heels.

Located at Frisco’s Toyota Stadium, Edgefest is one of the only local concerts that offer a variety of musicians for a reasonable price. Allen students have been going for years and are incredibly disappointed to hear that the all day concert is happening on Senior Prom, the day girls have been dreaming about since they were thirteen and guys have been saving up for since freshman year.

“This would have been my third year going to Edgefest,” said senior Andy McEachern. “I was considering skipping because Edgefest is so fun, but it looks like I’ll be attending Prom.”

Headliners include The Offspring, Death Cab For Cutie, Modest Mouse, Hozier and Vance Joy among other bands such as The Kooks, AWOLNATION and Yelawolf.  Toyota Stadium is less than an hour away for most students and offer tickets that start as low as $75.00.  With two stages there is a constant stream of music that never disappoints.

“Crowd surfing and making it to the front of the stage the first year I went has easily been my best memory of Edgefest,” said McEachern. “And it’s a great way to discover new up and coming bands.”

Many students are considering skipping prom in order to go to this festival one last time before going off to college.  Just like Prom is a high school tradition, Edgefest, which has been coming to Dallas since 1987, has become a tradition as well.

“I know going to Senior Prom is a once in a lifetime experience, but I discussed it with my friends and we decided it would be more cost efficient to go to Edgefest,” said senior Hailey Malicoat. “We know we will have much more fun there than at Prom.”

Whether you plan to dance the night away at Prom or crowd surf at Edgefest, both events are guaranteed not to disappoint, creating memories that will last a lifetime.

Full Lineup:

Girl Talk

Dirty Heads

Death Cab For Cutie

Vance Joy

Banks

Joywave

The Kooks

Modest Mouse

Hozier

New Politics

Yelawolf

Robert Delong

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness

Price of Edgefest:

Tickets VIP- $150.00

Tickets GA- $75.00

Water Bottle- $5

Bottle of Sunscreen- $6

Price of Prom

Dress- $200

Tux-  $200

Dinner- $50 per person

Tickets- $50 per couple

Limo- $60 per person

Corsage- $10