The student news site of Allen High School.

The Eagle Angle

The Eagle Angle

The Eagle Angle

College Night

College+Night

The College and Career Center is setting up for College Night at Allen High School from 6-8 p.m. tonight.. This event allows students to talk to more than  150 colleges about all things post-high school — scholarships, classes, financial aid, etc.. 

“We have 153 colleges that have told us they are coming,” college and career advisor Mary Ricks said. “It will be all in the cafeteria and PAC, where there will be tables set up and families can come ask questions, get information and ask about majors.”

The College and Career Center is also adding more ways for students to get all the information they might need about college.

“At 6:15 and 7 p.m. in the band hall, there will be two general info sessions from Texas A&M [Agriculture and Mechanical] and UT [University of Texas] Austin,” Ricks said. “Space will be limited with those, but it will just be a general info session where they will do the same presentation twice.”

Ricks said everyone should know these college nights are important, and students do not want to miss out.

“We have some awesome colleges coming,” Ricks said. “I think it is a perfect opportunity where families can come and ask all those burning questions they might have. Students will also get five eagle engagement points if they show up.”

Along with these college nights bring opportunities to find out what these colleges offer.

“I want to go learn more about [Southern Methodist University’s] scholarship program,” senior Blake Pinkstaff said. “It’s a great opportunity for students to find scholarships.”

Other than scholarships, there could be other opportunities at these colleges that students might not know about.

“If you are struggling financially you can go talk to colleges to see what financial aid they might offer,” senior Lacey Joanidis said. “Also it’s a great place to explore your options, there’s plenty of colleges that come.”

The College and Career Center said it hopes every student can experience college night because the night might not end how students plan.

“College night gives students good exposure to lots of different colleges,” Rick said. “They might be interested in maybe two main colleges but maybe they go to college night and a different college grabs their attention. The fact that students can come and see all these colleges is kinda cool because there’s a lot more colleges than these big ones that we hear about all the time.”