The Trip of a Lifetime

Students win opportunity to travel to Alaska in environmental preservation awareness trip

Brown+and+Bartolo+with+coach+Jason+Anderson.+

Brown and Bartolo with coach Jason Anderson.

A project in Outdoor Adventures 2 involved students making pictographs to display information concerning the dangers of building another mine in Bristol Bay and the effects it would have on the native environment. The projects were submitted into a contest, leading sophomore Alyssa Brown and junior Melanie Bartolo being invited on a trip to Alaska, valuing $5,000.

“I completed the project because I was interested in actually going on a trip like this,” Brown said. “I figured it could be a good opportunity to expand my horizons.”

The project was assigned in mid fall, allowing students a few weeks of class time to complete their pictographs, and have them graded before those chosen to be submitted to the contest early December. Winners were announced Dec. 21 and informed by email from their teachers upon returning after winter break.

“I got very excited [when I found out] because I had never won something like this,” Brown said. “I was thrilled to have won and I even texted my mom in class.”

The trip will offer various opportunities to explore life in native Alaska as well as the wildlife that has not yet been affected by human development.

“A few things we get to do are: King Salmon fishing in Bristol Bay itself, a complete tour and history of Bristol bay, bear and bald eagle watching, close up look at native Alaskan culture and high up on the list getting an in person view of the beautiful Alaskan wilderness,” Bartolo said.

These opportunities have the potential to be life changing events because of the possibility of the landscape altering greatly in the next few years with the induction of the proposed mine.

“I believe I will remember this even when I’m 80 and it will be a good memory to look back on,” Brown said. “It will open my eyes to other things in the world and it may even open up new hobbies for me.”

The trip will take place in July 2016, accompanied by Joe Klutsch, the trip guide of Katmai Guide services, and was made possible by the Dallas Safari Club which is also displaying the winning projects.

“I expect this opportunity will affect my future loads,” Bartolo said. “I hope it will give me a good perspective on different walks of life, both human and animal. Also, the knowledge I gain from this trip I will carry with me through the rest of my life.”