Smells like teen politics

In a conference room in the Plano Chamber of Commerce, desks form a large “U,” with nameplates in front of each seat. Texas State Rep. Jeff Leach stands at the center of the formation, like an accent lingering above a letter. Council members fill the seats, attentively listening to the representative’s every word. Controversial issues are discussed and debated among the members. One thing sets this council apart from the usual experienced politicians – it is comprised solely of high school students.

The Student Leadership Advisory Council, created by Rep. Leach, meets twice each semester to discuss political issues and to learn more about the legislative process. The council includes students from a number of schools in Collin County and has met once so far in the 2014-2015 school year.

Senior Sabrina Christensen said the council talked about controversial issues and how they affect teenagers, including texting and driving, abortions, the education system and standardized testing.

Senior Danielle Gutknecht said in addition to regular meetings, members will get the opportunity to travel to Austin with Rep. Leach and sit in on legislative sessions. This trip will give council members a chance to experience the legislative process firsthand and see representatives in action.

“It’s really neat because it’s something different and it’s fun, but you’re actually still learning valuable information about not just the legislative process, but about everything political and social in Texas,” junior Jena Stratton said.

Rep. Leach created the council in order for students of all backgrounds to gain an understanding of the legislative process and the vitality of civil engagement and public service.

“While it’s one thing to learn more about the Texas Legislature in a classroom, this unique program is designed to provide real exposure to the nuts and bolts of the legislative and public-policy making processes,” he said.

A Call to the Council

All were recommended by teachers, but the students applied for the council for a number of different reasons. For Gutknecht and junior McKenzie Lane, it was an interest in pursuing a career in politics.

“I just thought it would be a good opportunity to expand my knowledge about the government and politics,” Lane said.

Stratton, on the other hand, said she had another motive.

“I’m really interested in the social and political issues rising in Texas,” Stratton said, “and how us as the younger generation can help and make an impact in other people’s lives.”

Overall it was not analogous opinions or identical dreams that brought the council together, but a shared interest in making a difference.

“It’s really cool because you know that everybody who’s in the council is interested in the same kind of stuff as you are, and are equally interested about how government works and about different issues,” Gutknecht said.

Although there are differing backgrounds, political parties and ideologies represented in the group, apathy is nowhere to be found.

We the Students…

When it comes to their opinions on the role of the government, there is not much controversy among council members.

“The government is here to protect our basic rights,” Lane said, “to run things, make sure nothing goes astray.”

Similarly, Gutknecht said that the role government should be to ensure the safety and freedom of all citizens. The council employs these ideologies by giving the students an opportunity to participate in government and to express their opinions freely, involving them in the democratic process on which our country was founded.

The Democratic and Republican members of the council have differing views on the topics, so Rep. Leach encourages them to debate, said Christensen. But rather than only arguing they discuss measures which should be taken to solve problems.

“He wants us to [debate] so he can see where we’re coming from,” Christensen said.

What’s in it for Them?

They came for the politics, but they stayed for the life lessons. Council members reported several skills and lessons they have learned that can be applied in their everyday lives rather than just in the government.

“One of the most important things that I’ve learned from the council has to be how to speak in front of other people and share your opinions, even if other people don’t agree with it,” Stratton said.

Lane said it is important to grasp politics growing up in order to understand what is happening on a worldwide level.

Gutknecht uses the opportunity to broaden her views.

“I can take those points of view of other people that I may not have had the opportunity to listen to and expand my own horizons,” she said.

Rep. Leach leads council members by example in his interaction with the citizens of his district.

“The council is really good because it teaches how Rep. Leach does what the people of his district want, so that’s a good way to apply it to our own lives,” Christensen said.

Lane said with confidence that everything she takes from the council will be beneficial no matter where she goes. All of the skills the students have attained can be applied to a broad spectrum of situations, whether in school or their future careers.

Do it for the Vine – and the Community

One topic Rep. Leach emphasizes is the integral role of public service.

“I believe it is my duty as a public leader to help grow the leaders of tomorrow, starting with enforcing the importance of honest, open and smarter government,” Rep. Leach said.

This objective has affected members’ views on serving in several ways.

Stratton said it was eye-opening to see how her service really helps.

“I go to ACO (Allen Community Outreach) and I’ll serve, but I’ve never really thought about how much of an impact it has,” she said, “but being part of the council and talking about issues, it makes every little piece of service you do seem so much bigger and so much more realistic.”

For most high school students, however, service is not a priority.

“[Rep. Leach] was saying that a lot of kids these days are more worried with being cool and going on Twitter and stuff, but what’s really important are the things like volunteering at soup kitchens and helping the ACO,” Gutknecht said.

Leave it to the Grown Ups

Besides giving them a basic knowledge of legislature, the Student Leadership Advisory Council teaches members the importance of youth getting involved in politics.

“The people our age right now are the future for the country, and it’s important that we prepare to hold that important position someday,” Gutknecht said, “because we’ll be the people in the government, and we need to make sure our generation is educated like it should be.”

Supporting Gutknecht’s statement about the importance of education is a study by the McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum, which shows that only one in 1,000 people can name all five rights guaranteed by the First Amendment, while 220 in 1,000 can name all five Simpsons characters.

With a basic understanding of how the government works, citizens gain the ability to contribute to the process.

“The people we’re electing and the laws that are going into place now are going to be the ones affecting us,” Christensen said. “It really affects us and our kids.”

Students who are not in the council can still get involved in government in several ways. Gutknecht offered suggestions, saying other teenagers can watch or read the news for current events, spend time forming individual opinions on issues or start their own government club to discuss matters with other high school students.

As for the council, Rep. Leach said, “After meeting with this bright group of dynamic leaders, I have tremendous hope for the future of Texas.