Homecoming Mums

There is a day when the high school halls hold more flowers than a garden, more stuffed animals than a toy store and more ribbons than a craft store. Receiving homecoming mums and garters has been a Texan tradition for years.

The origin of homecoming mums can be traced to the post-war prosperity of the 1950s. Boys began buying their dates corsages with fresh chrysanthemum flowers for homecoming. The flowers were small and backed with a few decorative ribbons. The cost of the original mums averaged about $3.

Since then, the tradition of mums has spread throughout the south, increasing the size and cost as well. Today, buying a mum can cost anywhere from $100-$300, and chances are it will be almost as tall as the girl on the receiving end. The mum itself is normally made of a stuffed animal, backed by a large plastic flower, with trinkets and ribbons dangling off the flower.

The Friday of the homecoming football game, halls are filled with the jingling of bells and trinkets from all the mums. Many students find the mums to be annoying and a waste of money.

“Mums are expensive with a short-lived memory,” sophomore Viana Phan said. “Allen already has enough spirit, there is no need to have your date waste money to make or buy you a mum.”

Not everyone finds mums to be a waste of money. Algebra II teacher Stacey Dunstan says mums are one of the most memorable parts of homecoming in the south.

“Mums are a cute and fun way to keep the memory of homecoming,” Dunstan said. “The noise doesn’t annoy me like it does some other teachers. I like being able to see the students wearing them and enjoying themselves.”