Filling White Space

A gallery of tape art created by students in Karen Adams’ animation II and practicum in animation classes has converted the blank space covering campus construction into a canvas for creativity.

“At the beginning, we had almost no tape,” junior Hayden Hurst said. “We had two colors, black and blue. One of the very first paintings was just straight up black and blue paint, very simple, very nothingness.”

However, as additional colors of tape arrived, rough sketches were soon stuck to the white wall, and the gallery slowly began to grow.

“I don’t think there’s a single frame that got finished in one day,” Hurst said.

Many works in progress, including the image of a deer, cover art for Frank Ocean’s latest album “Blonde,” and a portal which Hearst has been designing The pieces are updated daily by students.

“It’s a good way to be artistic without having to paint something,” said senior Elizabeth Ivy, who collaborated on “Tragedy of the Cephalopods” with fellow senior Reilly Tuer.

“[The piece] is supposed to look a bit like the ‘Ummagumma album’ by Pink Floyd,” Tuer said. “But it doesn’t look like that at all anymore.”

In addition to pop culture-influenced works like Ivy and Tuer’s collaboration, the tape art gallery includes parodies of Internet memes such as “Loss” and “Had To Do It To Em,” as well as an Eagles-themed mural in Allen High School’s signature colors.

“I knew none of the kids would do [a school-inspired piece] because they all wanted to do their own own art projects, and I’m all for that, but I felt like we had to pull the high school in there somehow,” Adams said.

Although the animation program’s gallery had never been created before, Hurst saw the opportunity as “something fun” to do with friends.

“It wasn’t something to show the extremely artistic side [of animation],” Hurst said, “but it was fun to get something up on that blank wall since there’s really nothing there.”

Adams described the project as “like the planning phases of animation, [including] creating concepts and storyboards.”

When construction is completed at the end of summer, the tape art gallery will be taken down along with the wall. Still, the animation program continues to work on new projects and gain experience with various styles of technology and art .

“If you are really passionate about going into animation, go for it, man,” Hurst said “Nothing can really hold you back, and if you really want to go, don’t be held back by ‘oh, I don’t have enough skill’ or ‘I’m not good with computers.’ If you want to do it, you do it.”