The Eagle Angle

Review: ‘Midnight Sun’

Audrey Vieira, Commentary Editor

Following the box office success of films like “The Fault In Our Stars” and “Everything, Everything,” new release “Midnight Sun” attempts to rise as the next great teen tearjerker but ultimately burns out.

Based on a 2006 Japanese film of the same name, “Midnight Sun” follows the budding romance between aspiring musician Katie (Bella Thorne) and former athlete Charlie (Patrick Schwarzenegger) as they embark on a series of late-night adventures in their Seattle suburb. However, Katie struggles on whether to disclose her diagnosis with xeroderma pigmentosum, a disease which prevents her from going into sunlight, to Charlie as she fears revealing the secret could risk their relationship.

Although Katie and Charlie share plenty of onscreen kisses and public displays of affection, the emotional aspect of their relationship is where “Midnight Sun” really shines. Not only do the two romantic leads voice support for each other’s hopes and dreams. They take steps to make those dreams a reality and encourage one another as their relationship progresses.

However, the film’s tooth-rotting sweetness suddenly sours when the final act takes an abrupt, upsetting turn for the worse. There’s a fine line between moving an audience to tears and forcing one to sobs, and as much as “Midnight Sun” tries to be the former, it has absolutely no idea where that line is. Cramming the twist into a brief 91-minute runtime only makes the sudden conclusion more confusing, leaving little time to wrap up key plot points and end the film on a higher note.

Though bright, blissful romance still shines throughout “Midnight Sun,” its sudden shift from joyful romantic comedy to dim, dark sob story barely earns a B- in my opinion. Skip the trip to the theatre for this film and save your tissues until it inevitably arrives on Netflix in the near future.

About the Writer
Audrey Vieira, Senior-managing Editor

Senior Audrey Vieira likes publishing stories, attending concerts, and learning new songs on her clarinet and bass guitar. She plans to study journalism in college and work for a campus publication.