The importance of zzz’s

School is a crucial part of life that can provide people with many opportunities but the problems it can cause have always been a topic of discussion. According to National Sleep Foundation studies, adolescents need nine and one-fourth hours of sleep each night. Due to late nights doing homework assignments and studying, student are going to bed later and later even though they still have to be up early to get ready and arrive at school on time.

Starting school around eight in the morning causes students to have to wake up as early as 6:30 a.m. in order to get ready and travel to school. Many students participate in school activities that require after school hours, such as sports or clubs, which causes them to push homework off until they get home. In addition, if a student is having personal issues such as family problems, loads of schoolwork is more stress for them to have to deal with.

According to the Children’s Anxiety Institute, physical symptoms associated with sleep deprivation also intensify when teens don’t get the necessary amount of sleep. This causes students to have headaches, become nauseous or even cause muscle aches or slurred speech.

Students need a necessary amount of nine hours of sleep to function throughout the school day. We know that school activities and homework are very important and need to be done, however there needs to be a good way to balance everything out and still get the right amount of sleep every night. Being more organized and going to bed as early as possible could help solve the problem of students being so exhausted during the school day.

editorial by The Eagle Angle staff