Puttin’ on the Hits with PALs

The Peer Assistance and Leadership (PALs) program is back hosting their 27th annual Puttin’ on the Hits Talent Show on Feb. 3.

Talent show auditions were hosted Jan. 19  and 20 in the Performing Arts Center. All profits from the show, including concessions and tickets, will go toward the PALs senior scholarship fund.

“We give away about $6,000 to our senior PALs as a scholarship for college,” PALs teacher Jennifer Clements said. “We make about $4,000 from hosting the talent show itself.”

According to Clements, PALs students help judge talent show auditions, organize and promote the talent show. They also work with the Performing Arts Center staff insure the show itself runs as smoothly as possible.

“I’m really looking forward to trying out with the support of my friends,” senior Kasey Capps said. “Also since it’s my senior year, I had to push myself to try out this year.”

Some of the students auditioning are seniors who waited until their last year to try out for the talent show.

“I’ve always wanted to try out, but if I messed up or did bad during the show, I wouldn’t have to deal with it for years ahead,” Capps said, who is singing for her audition.

Capps says that even trying out is a huge step out of someone’s comfort zone, especially for students who have never tried out before.

“I love seeing the diversity of talents,” Clements says. “It truly shows how diverse Allen High School really is. It’s one of my favorite events of the year that PALs has to offer.”