Column: So Here’s Why I Joined a Club

The best, although awkward, decision to make in high school is to take a step out of your comfort zone. Teachers have this phrase committed to memory, a second nature. While going through the motions of a new school year, many students tune it out with glowing phone displays and buzzing earbuds. However this could prevent you from creating fond high school memories.

We’ve all heard them; the cliche “family forever” tale that comes with a club. Sometimes we see the stereotype that only geeks belong to a club. Neither stereotype is true, by the way. In reality, joining a club for the first time leaves you feeling uncomfortable, especially if you don’t know the people there or have never had experience with what the club deals with.

Personally, I joined FFA. Since my freshman year I have wanted to join but it was not until this that I threw myself in, shedding all the stomach churning, heart-faltering nerves of being in a new environment and meeting new people. Through a two-day barn clean out and a stressful two weeks of learning, I found that this new part of my life is, put shortly, amazing.

For some background, my sophomore year focused on writing; I rarely left my computer chair and worked on building up my writing space that now is the highlight of my bedroom. My father, bless his soul, begged that I become a part of a club. At the time, I honestly hated him for it. On Tumblr I had gained 1,000 (now 2,000+plus) followers, praising me for the writing I had deprived myself of sleep and even food for. How could I leave that?

Now, I’m barely writing in my computer chair as I get up at 5:30 a.m. and do not return until 6 p.m. In my free time I find myself still writing, keeping dear strangers happy, but I now dedicate my time to something other than a realm of fantasy.

The people I’ve met so far, both freshmen and seniors about to graduate, are easily the best people I know. While we all teach each other, social groups forgotten, we’re also making memories that are actually going to mean something to us. When we grow up, we’ll have something other to share than a party we went to or the cliché prom date, and that’s worth it.

My idea is not for you to spend hundreds of dollars for an animal. You can, don’t get me wrong, but what’s important is indulging in your interest. The idea of being a part of something is to get way out of your comfort zone, experience new things. Joining a club is not as common as it should be; many students go through high school without considering it.

Some of the best memories do not come from the club itself but from the people you’re with. My father shared that the people he met through football in high school are the same people he’s friends with today. His most fond memories were the ones where they all ate at a buffet together, hanging out and bonding over the one topic they had in common. While telling me all this on a drive home, the most passionate I’ve seen him in almost five years, his eyes lit up and if he weren’t driving, his hands would have been making excited gestures the way they usually do.

Personally, I don’t think that going to the odd dance or two is enough for a high school experience. You make friends, sure, but how many are you going to keep in contact with after you leave those doors? Many friends I’ve made in middle school do not talk to me outside of school; it’s highly likely I will never hear from them after graduation. We’re close, yes, but we never formed a bond because, while we do get along, we don’t have any strong similar interests.

It’s a shame that we only hear this from teachers, but join a club.