Diminishing Originality

Recently, I came across a TED Talks episode regarding how schools in America do not put as much emphasis on originality and utilizing the creative side of the brain. Mr. Ken Robinson, the speaker, is an English author, speaker and international advisor on education. He claimed something I find to be very significant. He asserted that if students are not prepared to be wrong, they “will never come up with anything original.” He also talked about how creativity is not acknowledged as an important aspect of education.

In our society today, students are forced to follow a strict curriculum that penalizes students for being “wrong,” making them afraid to create or share original ideas. Instead of allowing students to learn from their mistakes, educators tend to attach “wrong” statements with low grades and other consequences. This is successful in forcing students to only focus on doing whatever they can to attain the approval of teachers or educators and not bothering to explore or think on their own to create new ideas in fear of the possible disapproval.

Additionally, Robinson emphasizes this point by pointing out how math and science are subjects placed on top of the “hierarchy” while the liberal arts are often disregarded. It seems as if everyone is convinced that learning about art or dance or music will result in no job and no future. I have seen this trend occur over and over again, with fine arts and humanities considered as “freebies” with little importance. Their significance is disregarded.

Intelligence is often measured upon one’s ability to solve complex math problems and write sophisticated lab reports. But often times, educators forget that there are some students who have incredible skills and talents when it comes to the arts and humanities. This point is imperative for expanding and improving education systems to fit the needs of all kinds of students.

Disregarding creativity is detrimental to the future of students today, who will ultimately shape the world. Putting an emphasis on coming up with original ideas, even if they contain flaws, can have a great impact on innovation. The education system today would be much more effective if it allowed students to explore the creative side of their minds instead of being restricted to what they feel is most effective for our futures.