To gripe or not to gripe

High school is a tough time for pretty much everyone. Freshmen are transitioning from middle school to the big league, sophomores are adjusting to the main campus, juniors are taking SATs and seniors are prepping for college. Based on the accumulating amount of pressure set on students each year, there are bound to be a few complaints. Of course there are those who complain, and those who exaggerate their situation a bit too much. But have the complaints gone too far?

One example of over-complaining in society is the show “My Sweet Sixteen.” Quite often on the show, a teen will cry, scream, or throw a fit if she doesn’t get the right color of the Mercedes she wanted. When I see those types of people, I can’t even imagine myself overreacting that extremely in that situation. Though we don’t quite see those types of people all the time, there are teens (and adults) that complain about everyday things as dramatically as the girls on the show do.

I complain, as does everyone; it’s a part of everyday life. People complain when they stub their toe, when they run out of gas, even when they can’t find their keys that were RIGHT THERE ON THE COUNTER I SWEAR.

However I do find that there is a difference between exaggerating and complaining. Exaggeration is when you tell a story about that time you caught that huge bass and it was THIIIS big. Complaining is whining that the sardine you caught isn’t as big as that guy’s bass.

When I complain, I tend to exaggerate my situation a bit. Who doesn’t, right? Stubbing your pinky toe on the bottom of the couch may feel like the end of the world when, in reality, it only takes a few seconds for the pain to ebb. Waiting ten minutes for my mom to pick me up seems like an eternity, which happens to be the period of time I will complain about those ten minutes.

People need to ease the frequency of which they complain; they aren’t fun to be around when they exaggerate too often, or too extremely. In Allen, you don’t often hear whining or complaining around the school. Though you do hear exaggerating when it comes to our football team.