Drum majors

One town. One high school. One marching band with more than 800 members. Four drum majors taking the lead.

This school year, seniors Alyssa Harrott, Evan Simmons, Alden Zuck and junior Kate Henderson stepped up on the podium and took their positions as the 2013-2014 drum majors.

“I’ve always wanted to be a drum major since I was in elementary school,” Harrott said. “Once I got in the [band] program, I really looked up to the drum majors [during] my freshman and sophomore years. They all inspired me to [try out] myself.”

The drum majors take on many tasks, from conducting on the field to helping the members learn the drills. They also aid the directors and help students with the music. Zuck said that even though being in this position is a hard job, it is still rewarding.

“You’re always the one who’s going to be here super early and stay here super late and spend so much time on everything,” Zuck said. “It’s really tiring, and it kind of wears you down after a while, but it’s worth it.”

The drum majors lead the band as a whole while the section leaders work with only their group of the same instrument players. Henderson, a flute player, said her section leaders inspired her to try and aim for the drum major position in the band.

“[My section leaders] said how fun it was to help other kids,” Henderson said, “but I realized that I wanted to help more than just the kids in my section. I wanted to be able to reach out and go help a trumpet player across the field.”

After being around and conducting hundreds of band members, Simmons said being a drum major has helped shape his character.

“I’ve really learned a lot about leadership and confidence,” Simmons said. “I was a shy person to begin with, but [being a] drum major really helped me become a more public leader.”

These conductors have led the band during contests as well as in halftime shows during every Friday night football game. Henderson said she still remembers her very first time conducting during football season.

“The wall of sound that just hits you in the face is amazing and exhilarating,” Henderson said. “It felt like I was a freshman again during my first game. I was so nervous because you don’t want to mess up and people are watching you.”

Harrott said leading such a big group leads to more pressure for the drum majors.

“In a way, some people put us on a platform,” Harrott said. “I feel like we are very aware of our actions and our choices and how we treat other people and interact with teachers. We aren’t only representing the band, we are representing Allen.”