Allen Wins vs McKinney at Home, 35-14

Photo taken by Lillian Arnold

The Allen Eagles defeated the McKinney Lions 35-14 on October 22, 2021 at Eagle stadium. With the win, the Eagles have extended an impressive winning streak to six games.

The Lions were struggling heading into this matchup, with a record of 3-4 and coming off a blowout at home to Braswell High School 49-14. They were looking to try and find some momentum and upset the Eagles at home.

The Eagles, however, were not struggling. They were coming off a 38-31 win on the road against a solid Denton Guyer High School team. The game before that was a 71-29 stomp at home vs Little Elm High School. 

McKinney won the toss, and deferred. The first quarter kicked off with a three-and-out by the Eagles offense. No teams were able to get much momentum until the Lions fumbled in the red zone, giving the Eagles possession deep in their own territory. Allen moved the ball well, and junior running back Devyn Turner was able to break free for a 69-yard touchdown run. The Lions had a promising drive going to end the quarter, until an interception by junior linebacker Diego Avila gave the Eagles the ball right back. The first quarter ended with the Eagles on top, 7-0. 

The second quarter had a slow start like the first, with both teams exchanging punts. The Eagles were able to block the Lions’ punt however, giving the Eagles the ball at the Lions’ 16-yard line. Devyn Turner was again able to punch in a seven yard touchdown run, his second of the game, and give the Eagles a 14-0 lead. The Lions were able to put together a solid drive, but an unsuccessful fourth down attempt ended it. The Eagles were yet again able to push the ball down field, and a six yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Mike Hawkins to senior receiver Jordyn Tyson capped it all off.  The Lions’ defense was able to stand tall on fourth down at their own 3-yard line, preventing an Eagle score before the half. The half ended with the Eagles holding a strong 21-0 lead.

The second half started off the same way the first started, with a strong defensive performance on both sides. After consecutive punts, the Eagles had a quick touchdown drive. Senior receiver Jacob Brasher found a hole in the secondary and was able to score off a 33-yard touchdown reception. The Lions’ following possession was cut short after senior defensive back Sign Shuva picked off a pass deep in Lion territory. Mike Hawkins and Jordyn Tyson connected again for an eight yard touchdown, and gave the Eagles a 35-0 lead. The third quarter ended with the Lions scoring their first points of the night, as junior running back Sheldon King broke free for a huge 93 yard touchdown run, making the score 35-7 Eagles. 

The fourth quarter was quiet until the Lions capitalized off an Allen fumble, with senior receiver Sampson Nazarko scoring a 72-yard touchdown reception. Allen was able to burn the clock effectively, ending the game with a 35-14 victory.

The Eagles improved their record to 7-1 and will look to extend their win streak to seven as they prepare to take on the Prosper High School Eagles on the road Friday. The Lions moved to 3-5, and will try to get back on track against the McKinney Boyd High School Broncos at home Friday.