The student news site of Allen High School.

The Eagle Angle

From Pick and Roll to Pick-Six

How Allen athlete Jevon Jones has transitioned from basketball to football

Brandon Barton, Staff writer

Junior Jevon Jones has had a unique journey as an Eagle. From his freshman year to the present, Jones went from playing point guard on the basketball team, to wide receiver on the football team, to now a nationally recognized defensive back on the football team.

I chose football over basketball because it’s set in stone,” Jones said. “I will be going to college to play football, and I took this year off to get myself bigger, faster and stronger for my senior football season.”

Jones started playing football for Allen ISD in middle school where he played wide receiver. It wasn’t until the 2016 season as a junior that he decided to switch to a defensive back.

“Me switching from wide receiver to defensive back was a change coach thought would be best for me and the team,” Jones said. “The transition [from offense to defense] was tough, but I continued to work hard every day, and coming from wide receiver, I knew my ball skills would be good, but I would have to work on my covering and tackling.”

Although he only has one season behind him as a defensive back, Jones already has offers from schools including the University of Kansas, Southern Methodist University and Iowa State University.

“Getting offers from Division 1 colleges is a true blessing,” Jones said. “Knowing my parents won’t have to pay a dime for college is amazing. It is also a blessing because I’ve always dreamed of playing football in college, and I now have the opportunity to make my dream come true.”

Allen was eliminated in the semi-finals against The Woodlands in December. Like many of his teammates, Jones wants to improve next season and win the state title his senior year.

“My plans for next season are to continue to work hard, as well as being a leader on and off the field for my team,” Jones said. “I plan on being a captain for the team and winning the state title.”

Jones is a leader off the field is through his involvement with PALs (Peer Assistance and Leadership) at Allen. As a PAL, Jones works with at-risk students and serves as a mentor in Allen ISD.

“I love being a PAL,” Jones said. “I’ve built relationships with people that I’d never talked to before, and it gives me an opportunity to give back to our city and I love it. I think the kids I mentor really look up to me.”

As Jevon makes his name known around Allen, his brother Jaylon Jones gives him a little help along the way. Jaylon Jones played three seasons with the Eagles as a defensive back from 2013 to 2015. Jaylon now plays defensive back for Ole Miss.

“My brother has given me so much advice in football, and life in general,” said the younger Jones. “One of the main things he said that stuck with me is ‘someone is always working, competing to be better than you.’ There are times I don’t feel like working, but that always comes across my mind, and I fight through it and work hard.”

Although the idea of Jevon following in Jaylon’s footsteps is entertaining, Jevon thinks of it differently.

“I love my brother to death but I wouldn’t say I’m following his footsteps,” Jones said. “Although he has a blueprint laid out for me and is a tremendous role model, I still want to be Jevon Jones, not Jaylon’s little brother.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “From Pick and Roll to Pick-Six”

1. Landry on February 3rd, 2017 6:41 pm

Excellent article! Really enjoyed story. Good luck Jevon!

[Reply]

2. Jean Gipson on February 3rd, 2017 7:10 pm

Very nice article. Well written.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• From Pick and Roll to Pick-Six

Featured Sports

Allen’s comeback attempt falls short in loss to The Woodlands

• From Pick and Roll to Pick-Six

Featured Sports

Eagles surge late in win over Duncanville

• From Pick and Roll to Pick-Six

Featured Sports

Eagles Win in a Battle with the Bobcats

• Featured Sports

Allen Emerges Victorious in Battle Against Belton

• From Pick and Roll to Pick-Six

Featured Sports

Allen Survives Playoff Slugfest

• From Pick and Roll to Pick-Six

Featured Sports

Allen stays perfect on Senior Night against Wylie

• Featured Sports

Eagles Fall to Coppell in district Hockey game

• From Pick and Roll to Pick-Six

Featured Sports

Allen preserves perfect record in road win

• From Pick and Roll to Pick-Six

Featured Sports

Eagles blow by district rival Denton Guyer

• From Pick and Roll to Pick-Six

Featured Sports

Allen Dismantles Plano West on Homecoming Night