Talent show hits the stage again

LeVan Duong auditioned with Skyscraper by Demi Lovato

The Peer Assistance and Leadership (PALs) program will be hosting the “Puttin’ on the Hits” Talent Show on Feb. 5.

The talent show is available for all students with auditions having taken place on Tuesday. The profits from the show will go on to benefit PALs students after high school.

“All the profit from the talent show will go to the PALs scholarship funds so all the senior PAL 1’s and PAL 2’s can apply for a scholarship at the end of the year,” PALs teacher Jennifer Clements said.

Students in the PALs 2 class organize almost all of the show, according to Clements. They sell tickets, judge the auditions, emcee during the show and work backstage.

“It’s really fun to look forward to and just to be a part of,” senior Madison Moro said. “Usually we have to just sit and watch, and now we actually get to be a part of it.”

For some of the students auditioning, the talent show is something they have wanted to do but never had a chance to until high school.

“I kept telling myself in elementary school, ‘I’m going to try out, I’m going to go to the talent show,’ but I don’t,” senior LeVan Duong said, who will be singing for her audition. “And it’s been a while now, and this is my last year of high school so I might as well fulfill that goal.”

In regards to the talent shown in the auditions, Moro and senior Sara Martinez can’t wait to see the talent at Allen.

“[We want] to see something that’s really creative, something that no one’s seen before and something that’s very hard to do, “ Martinez says.

Clements believes that the talent show brings out the best of students and that it shows the great diversity at Allen High School.

“There are kids from every walk of life [that try out] and it’s a very diverse population with kids that you wouldn’t normally see hanging out together,” Clements said. “I just enjoy seeing all the kids coming together for one night, and enjoying all the different talents [at Allen].”