Escadrille Finds Their Adventure at Rose Parade

The Allen Eagle Escadrille, composed of the Allen band, Tallenettes and color guard performed at the 217th Tournament of Roses Parade on Jan. 1 in Pasadena, Calif.

“We felt great after the parade finished,” director of bands Blane Hinton said. “It was so much fun. It was really overwhelming because when you think of parades, you think short with a few people. This was a five-mile parade with 800,000 people lining the parade route from beginning to end plus another two miles full of people as we marched back to our buses.”

The Escadrille received the news that they would be attending the parade in late 2014.

“We were just thrilled beyond belief,” Hinton said. “It was one of those opportunities for the kids and parents and community and school that really gives us an opportunity to showcase what our Allen kids are all about.”

Shortly after the news reached the Escadrille, months of preparation and organization began. Students began band camp starting in the last week of July and continuing until the week school began. From 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. every weekday throughout band camp, students learned new marching techniques and music. In addition to “March Grandioso,” one of the songs the band plays during their annual parade and fundraiser March-a-thon, the band learned two new songs for the parade: a rendition of “Deep in the Heart of Texas” and “The Yellow Rose of Texas.” Throughout marching season, Escadrille members rehearsed from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. every weekday.

“The rehearsals were long, and obviously a lot of work was put into them like all band rehearsals,” senior french horn player Lauren Love said. “March-a-thon and the Christmas parade were our main marches that prepared us for the Rose Parade. Summer band was pretty much the same, except we practiced more track marching for the parade formation, and the traditional show that we did for BandFest we practiced more than usual as well.“

In addition, directors and volunteers coordinated transportation for the trip.

“The most challenging part about getting all of us there would probably have been the two tractor-trailers because with so many instruments, so many uniforms we had to deal with, different sizes we had to deal with, [and] weight restrictions,” Hinton said.

The two tractor-trailers full of instruments, luggage and other materials had to be sent to California 10 days prior to the Escadrille’s arrival.

“That was the most stressful thing we had to deal with,” Hinton said.

Students, directors, parents and volunteers arrived in Los Angeles in a series of eight flights on Dec. 28. The following day, the Escadrille took their picture in front of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and viewed parade floats. Later in the afternoon, the Escadrille showcased their traditional show, UIL show “Pathways” and took part in a pass in review at BandFest. The following day, the Escadrille went to DisneyLand, performing in the California Adventure Parade in the late afternoon.

“I’m a huge Disney fan. I’ve been ever since I was young,” sophomore color guard member Tiffany Ekanayake said. “So being able to march in a Disney parade and see everything from behind-the-scenes and all about it, that was super cool.”

Members of the Escadrille celebrated their New Year’s early due to the early call-time for the parade the next day.

“I was looking forward to the Rose Parade because we had been working on it for a long time,” sophomore clarinet player Nathan Kim said. “They told us to sleep, but I couldn’t really sleep. I was just too excited. “

The Escadrille performed in the Tournament of Roses Parade the next morning as the largest band to ever perform with 716 members marching that day.

“It went by super fast,” Hinton said. “I think the kids were tired, but they loved the experience overall.”

The Escadrille is now preparing for concert season and contests such as Region Solo and Ensemble. The Wind Ensemble will also have the opportunity to submit a video to the Texas Music Educators Association Honor Band competition this spring.

“We always have marching season next fall,” Hinton said.  “We’re already in preparation for our UIL State show.”