One School Success

Why Allen Dominates

Plano East has been a shock in the Texas high school football world. They have started this season 4-1 after going just 1-9 last season looking to have one of the best turnarounds in Texas high school football history. Many believe if East keeps it up they could compete with Allen for district and their head coach Joey McCullough has a great deal of confidence in the Panthers.

McCullough was asked about Allen and the concept of having only one high school and how that affects the performance of the football program. McCullough had some interesting statements about how Plano would be if they only had one high school like Allen.

“I think it would be just as much [state titles], if not double. I truly believe that. We have a lot of great players and coaches here in Plano,” McCullough said when asked how many consecutive state titles Plano would have with just one school compared to Allen on the SportsDayHS podcast.

Honestly what McCullough said made sense; if Allen did not have just one high school they would not be as good as they are. All of these great athletes and coaches Allen has would all be separated. This powerhouse that Allen has built wouldn’t be all that it is today if there were multiple high schools in Allen. Multiple schools would mean the student athletes would be divided up meaning not all of these players would be going to one big Allen school, instead they would be separated between the several high schools.

The money spent on the football program would also be significantly less due to the fact that it would have to be spread throughout multiple schools. Allen has an unbelievable team and has built something special but the reason they are what they are is because they have stuck to having one school instead of being like most cities and have multiple high schools.

Nothing against the Eagles but McCullough has a point. I don’t know about double the state titles Allen has but I do know if Allen had three schools such as Plano they would not be anywhere close to what they are with just one school.

Plano has an abundance of great athletes just like Allen the problem is that only one or two of them go to each of the the three Plano high schools. Instead of all of the great athletes being combined into one super school they are separated causing significantly less success than one school towns such as Allen.

Allen’s athletes are not only under the same roof as each other but with the amount of athletes they have their is a endless amount of depth. For example if Seth Green is having a bad game they can just throw Mitchell Jonke in there knowing he will produce as well. If someone like the starting QB goes down at any other school they probably won’t be very successful the rest of that game.

The reason Allen hasn’t fallen yet like past Texas high school football powers and continue to put wins on the board and hang championship banners is because the great players just keep coming. It’s like a machine, if someone leaves a new guy just steps up, the reason for the endless amount of these great players is because they all go to this one school and there is nothing keeping them from playing for the Eagles. All of Allen’s players just wait their turn and when it comes they go out and perform as good as the man that was in that spot before.