Speak up, snap out

Poetry is slamming into our library.

On April 29, the Allen High School Library will host its first ever poetry slam, an event where anyone can come up and share their writing in front of an audience. Students can participate for extra English credit, but the slam’s purpose is for much more.

“I think it is a chance for them to stretch their creative muscles,” English teacher Stephanie Ross said. “It’s not a STAAR essay, it’s not a college entrance essay, it’s a chance to do something cool, which they’re asking for in class all the time.”

And with good reason. Slam poetry, according to librarian Jana Dorough, is a very personal kind of poetry, containing raw emotions and feelings. To renowned slam poet Mike Guinn, it’s a way to express true self.

“Poetry slams allow you the platform to say the uncomfortable things,” Guinn said at a workshop preparing students for the event. “It allows you the platform to do the happy things. It allows you the creativity to put those things in a way you can express yourself.”

And self-expression in a variety of ways is something that’s being anticipated.

“I’m sure there will be lots of love, stress will be a big theme,” Ross said. “These are all things Allen High School kids worry about constantly, but some are into political and social movements—I have a feeling that we will see some things that apply to the world at large, beyond just our walls.”

With Guinn’s help, the library hopes to create a safe space for writers to share their more intimate works.

“I create the imaging that is behind a poetry slam,” Guinn said. “Where it’s fun, where you learn something more than just about writing and reading and reciting, you learn about life itself.”

But it’s not all just fun and games. In the spirit of real poetry slam tradition, there will be judges, who will score contestants on a point scale. It is a competition, and a first, second and third place medal will be awarded.

“The judging criteria is basically what you make the judge feel and what they feel like you’ve earned,” Dorough said. “It’s not really set, it’s really more about their passion, what they see and what they feel.”

In the future, Dorough hopes to expand the poetry slam to beyond just one event a year.

“I want not only to have another poetry slam, but also for it to spread to the freshman center and to the middle schools,” Dorough said. “I’m also hoping I might be able to start a poetry slam club next year for students that want to do this all year long.”

Dorough wants to offer poetry as a healthy outlet for student’s emotions.

“It’s a way to connect with other people who are poets, who maybe aren’t in their core group of friends.” Dorough said. “I think listening to other people’s poems, to see life through someone else’s eyes, makes a huge difference in who you are and your compassion for other people.”