MCJROTC Competes in Drill Meet

image007On Feb 21, the Allen High School MCJROTC PT team competed against 15 other schools at Midway High School in Waco.

“We have some of the best athletes in Texas right here in our program,” Sgt. Maj. Bruce Cole said.

Allen placed first overall in Fitness and third overall in Armed Drill. Cole said they hope to host a competition at Allen High School in April.

“It’s good to host our own meet because it would encourage other schools in our area to host their own meets,” Male PT Captain Spencer Robertson said.

The structure of PT competitions is different from those of other sports because it is randomized. The school who hosts also chooses the events.

“The competition could be virtually anything. It could be an obstacle course, it could be a long distance race, it could be something like the Marine Corps fitness test,” Cole said. “It’s all up to the imagination of the instructors who host the race.”

Because of the wide range of competition possibilities, students must be prepared for everything. The Feb 21 meet included pull-ups, pushups, sit ups, a 300 yard shuttle and broad jump. Allen’s male team came out above the other 15 schools in these competitions, and they said they plan to have the same results in the next meet.

“If we get anything less than first place at meets in the future, I will be surprised,” Robertson said.

As the team continues to grow and strengthen, the instructors have high hopes for their future as well.

“As long as our community and our school continue to build athletes like we have today, I see Allen’s Corps of Cadets being the team to beat far into the future,” Cole said.