Cinema Appreciation Club Starting

Three students, sophomores Kelechi Kafor, Sarah Ishikawa, and Samantha Rabino have decided to start Cinema Appreciation Club, a club dedicated to watching (and appreciating) various films.

“We just wanted to make a place where kids could come watch movies for fun,” Rabino said.

They intend to go further than just watching films, however. Every month, the club will have two meetings, held the first and third Wednesday, one spent watching the film, and one spent further discussing the film.

“We’ll also have these group discussions,” Kafor said. “And then the designated editors of our blog will take all of the opinions and make a comprehensive review.”

They hope that the influence of the club will reach past the members, to the rest of the student body.

“I’d really like for our students to be better cultured, and to better understand meaning and the work that goes into making a film.” Ishikawa said.

In order to do so, the club will be watching movies like West Side Story, The Godfather and Jurassic Park.

“We watch movies and different films that have really influenced film history,” Rabino said. “We watch classics.

Their first meeting is happening on Wednesday, January 28.

“We really just want to invite anyone who’s a movie lover or interested in cinematography and film techniques,” Kafor said. “We think you’ll really enjoy it, and we’d love to have you at Cinema Appreciation Club.”